Re: nVidia drivers

Wulfy wrote:
Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

If you are using a stock Debian kernel (and your output of "uname -a"
seems to suggest that you do), then you need to install the appropriate
kernel-headers package. (If you did not compile the kernel yourself then
the kernel source directory will not contain the information which the
nvidia installer needs.)

You could also try the Debian package for the legacy nvidia driver,
"nvidia-kernel-legacy-2.6-686".

[...]

No.  I am using a stock kernel.
The legacy driver deb looks promising, but it's only in Etch and Sid.
Can I use one of those on Sarge?  I'm wary of mixing my system.  If not,
I'll go for the kernel headers...

I would also hesitate to install the Etch package on a Sarge system,
assuming that apt lets you do it in the first place. I agree that
the "kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-686" package seems to be your best bet,
combined with the --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-686
option of the nvidia installer.

Regards,
           Florian