External hard drive woes

I just got a new 400 GB external Seagate hard drive connected by USB2 or
Firewire.  The problem is, randomly while running faubackup backup at night
via cron, the system locks up with a kernel panic that I can't scroll back on
because it's too long and USB keyboards stop working after panic.  No output
to system logs.  Running manually causes the hard drive to lock up the system
about 2 out of 3 times.  Is there a way to get this undesired behavior to
stop, short of going without any backup?

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber