Getting Thunderbird to use Firebird as default browser

I wish to (again) be able to click on a URL link in an email in
Thunderbird and have that link brought up on Firefox rather than
Konqueror.  Some time ago, this was possible, but I cannot find the
magic combination of settings to do this any more.

I am using KDE 3.5.1 and 2.6.8-1-386 (updated/upgraded to current etch).
Firefox is ver. 1.5.0.1 (Debian/1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.1-4 Firefox/1.5.0.1)
Thunderbird is ver. 1.0.7 (20051017)

Right now, if I click on a URL in an email, Konqueror is always brought
up and the URL displayed in it.

Theses are the settings I have tried:

FIREFOX:
Edit->Preferences->General->Firefox should check to see if it is default
browser when starting (box is checked).

THUNDERBIRD:
Edit->Preferences-> ???  I cannot find anything to set which browser is
started.

KDE CONTROL CENTER:
KDE Components->Component Chooser->Email Client->mozilla-thunderbird

KDE Components->Component Chooser->Web Browser->/usr/bin/firefox

File Associations->text->html->firefox (/usr/bin/firefox)

Note: /usr/bin/firefox is correct

Have I missed something?  (I have nothing against Konqueror except I
like Firefox better and the latter seems to work better for me.)
Firefox documentation that I've found is outdated and just tells me to
check the default box (that I have done above).

Help/pointers appreciated.

Don