Re: cdrecord + udev

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 04:11:28AM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Christopher Nelson wrote:
> >On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 05:29:16PM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
  <snip>
> >Just a thought: have you tried using the device name, eg.
> >dev=/dev/<device> ?
> >

> I did, and that produces a message from cdrecord that specifying devices
>  is not supported.

Interesting.  It gives me that message, then goes about burning the
disk.

> This is what happened:
>
> 1. introducing udev brought about a change in the transport layer
> identification from ATAPI:0,1,0 to ATA:1,1,0. I found this by cdrecord
> dev=help and cdrevord -scanbus dev=ATA. The previously posted -scanbus
> w/o dev always produced the posted result.

Interesting, I'll have to try this myself to see if I can do it the
"supported way".

> 2. I realize that I haven't got a clue as to what cdrecord actually
> does. But thank you Joerg Schilling for the code and I heard that there
> are Debian issues.

I haven't heard this, but it works for me so I don't follow such
information too closely.

> I googled and found nothing, meaning this is my problem?

Perhaps, or perhaps others are suffering in silence, or perhaps there
are other search terms that would bring up better results.  It doesn't
matter really, because you have the problem and there should be a way to
fix it--and now there will be some record in google about it.
Unfortunately, I'm not the one who will solve it, because I don't have
an inner knowledge of cdrecord and/or udev.