Re: Debian documentation question

On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:53:31AM +0200, Achim Stumpf wrote:

> So I read the installation manual and in chapter 5.3.5 Bug Reporter is
> written:
>
>   If you get through the initial boot phase but cannot complete the
>   install, the bug reporter menu choice may be helpful.

[...]

> So what does it mean the "bug reporter menu choice may be helpful"?
>
> Where, when and how ???

I don't know where this menu option occurs, but it is after the initial
boot phase; i.e., after you have booted the system without the debian
CD.  It sounds like you are not there yet.

> This machine gets a kernel panic or anything. It just stops in the
> beginning of the installation. It completely hangs. Actually it is
> quite a nice peace and I would love to use it under Sarge...

At what point does it hang?

By the way, you can visit a console and also several logs by pressing
alt-right and alt-left, or alt-F1 through alt-F4.  Those will probably
reveal the source of the problem.  It may even be possible to simply
kill the offending installation process and continue.  I can't tell you
how, though, without more information.