Re: default group ownership of a file

On Thursday 06 April 2006 08:01, ChadDavis wrote:
> Hello.  I need to know how the group ownership of a file is decided in
> debian.  Also, is it the same for all linux systems?

The group of the new file depends on the directory it was created in. If the
directory is setgid, then the group will be the same group as the group of
the directory. If the group is not setgid, then the group will be the user's
effective group id.

Your effective group id starts out as the gid listed in your entry in the
passwd file. You can change your effective group id with the newgrp command,
which is nearly identical to the basic su command, but for groups.

The id command will tell you what your uid and gid is, and also what groups
you are a member of.

--
Dave Carrigan
Seattle, WA, USA