Re: xorg config-problem -- no mouse (on laptop with synaptics touchpad)

Søren Christensen wrote:
On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 09:00:52AM +0200, Søren Christensen wrote:
I just made an dist-upgrade from Sarge to Etch. I switched from XFree86
to Xorg, but it will not start.

here is a part of the Xorg.log
[...]
(EE) Configured Mouse: cannot open input device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Configured Mouse"
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.14.4 (1404)
Synaptics Touchpad no synaptics event device found (checked 14 nodes)
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Synaptics Touchpad The evdev kernel module seems to be missing
                        ^^^^^^^^
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/psaux
	No such device.
Synaptics driver unable to open device
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics Touchpad"

I just reread the error-message. I've been trying to get output from the
synaptics device -- no success.

The above mentioned evdev kernel module seems to be missing. How can I
fix that?

Did you do the upgrade from apt or Synaptic? I did this three months ago
and had the same kind of problem, and of course now I have no idea how
I fixed it. I had just done the same on a desktop, and had a working
setup to compare it with, but I have a feeling I didn't actually repair
or install anything. I *think* Synaptic failed to complete the
dist-upgrade, and using apt-get -f install from the command line
(followed by several more apt-get upgrades until no further activity)
was enough to restore things. I'm not sure, though. I may even have
gone to dpkg and ripped out one or two things to clear a logjam. Apt
is good, but sometimes it paints itself into a corner and needs some
fairly brutal surgery to get back to a consistent state.

Quick test: does apt-get update, apt-get upgrade return without error?