Re: debian vs redhat

charles norwood wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 17:58 -0700, John wrote:
>
>>Hi, just wanted to say I've used various versions of linux, and have
>>mainly stuck with redhat/fedora (yeah, I know), but the latest versions
>>have sort of bothered me.  So, today I tried debian for the first time,
>>and wow, am I impressed.  I plan on migrating all my servers, home and
>>office, to debian in the next few months.
>>
>>Thanks!
>>

> Under redhat 9 I had a number of problems that caused server crashes
> about once a month.  Under Debian stable (Sarge) everything is so
> solid..... Debian stable may be able to run on an unplugged
> computer ....
>
> Hmmm   I'll try it ....

To be fair, RH9 was released 03/31/2003, while Sarge was released
06/06/2005.  I would say that a difference of 2+ years would be quite
significant in terms of hardware support and general application
stability.  Of course, I am still a Debianista to the core, but I had
the misfortune of admining a lab full of RH9 machines until I could get
them migrated to Debian.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez