Re: debian vs redhat

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 23:03, charles norwood wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 17:58 -0700, John wrote:
> > mainly stuck with redhat/fedora (yeah, I know), but the latest versions
> > have sort of bothered me.  So, today I tried debian for the first time,
> > and wow, am I impressed.
<Snip>
> Under redhat 9 I had a number of problems that caused server crashes
> about once a month.  Under Debian stable (Sarge) everything is so
> solid..... Debian stable may be able to run on an unplugged
> computer ....

There were three things that caused me to take the Debian plunge in about
1998/1999.

1. RedHat's quality control dropped off, and their releases were very shoddy.
[1]  I know people complain about Debian's "slow" release cycle, but this is
offset by having three releases online at all times.

2. apt was just coming online, and thus the installs got a little easier than
using dselect. And upgrades were a dream.

3. RPM hell. 'Nuff said.

I've been a happy Debian user ever since.

[1] RH's QC isn't a far sight better, even today. I have to use CentOS 4 (RHEL
4, community compiled) at work, and their released kernel, 2.6.9-22.EL,
shipped with reiserfs broken. To the point that the kernel wouldn't compile.
When I asked on the forums, they suggested I revert to 2.6.9-11.EL.
Management decided at that point that we could live without ReiserFS...

--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                       |