Re: Upgraded to FVWM 2.5 and I need help.

I am also running fvwm 2.5.12 on a Sarge system with kernel 2.6.8.

Ramasubramanian Ramesh wrote:

Hi,

I recently upgraded from fvwm 2.5 from 2.4.x because I can no longer find fvwm 2.4.x in stable. Since the upgrade, I noticed a couple of issues that I hope you can help to fix.

1) Each time I switch to a window on a different virtual area, it takes an unually long time before the switch happens. However after a few switches, I can quickly get back and forth. But, the swithcing fast as long as I am only doing that. If I do anything else, the same delay comes back.

This sounds like you could use some more memory. I had similar problems, especially once my wife started using a seperate account and we both had X running. Switching from one X session to another could take half a minute, or more. Then switching to another window was almost as bad. After that it would speed up. Sometimes, just trying to switch window I would think that the system was completely hung. Then I added more memory. I had 256MB and I added another 1GB. Switching between X sessions is quick and painless now, and I only barely touched my swap file once in the last two weeks.

2) I used move windows by pressing and holding left botton on the title and moving. Now I have to press and leave the button then move it and then press the button again. Is there a way to go back to my
    old way of moving windows.

My system still does the standard drag and drop.

3) VNC viewer does not work with fvwm 2.5. Is there a known work around.

I don't use VNC, so I can't add anything there.

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail