Re: various parts of gnome up the creek

Adam Hardy wrote:

> hi fellow debian users
>
> I throw myself at your feet and grovel for help with the whole tedious
> mish-mash that has arisen while trying to set up libusb to run the
> hotsynch with my handheld.
>
> This is what went wrong:
>
> (1) suddenly the gnome window manager, menu and taskbar when I booted
> this morning after working on it last night
> (2) the sound is now disabled (esd)
> (3) I can't open a terminal or shell window
>
> I can't strictly narrow this down to libusb, it might have something to
> do with udev and a few other packages I upgraded last night.
>
> I managed to salvage gnome by re-installing it with synatpic.
>
> I can't get the sound back on (even though I see the esd daemon sitting
> there) and the shell launchers in x give me "error creating child
> process".
>
> I also see lots of different apps saying:
>
> /usr/bin/X11/startx: line 131: /dev/null: Permission denied

What are the permissions on /dev/null?  They should be
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3 2006-04-03 01:51 /dev/null

> and also a few of these:
>

> (nautilus:4179): libgnomevfs-WARNING **: Cannot load module
> `/usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libcdda.so'
> (/usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/libcdda.so: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory)

What are the permissions on these shared libraries?

> Can anyone tell me where to go from here?

What versions are your running?  Both of Debian (sarge, etch, sid, mix?) and
of the failing programs.

Are any packages in a broken state, unconfigured, or otherwise not installed
properly?  I.e. does apt-get install (whatever) suggest you do an
apt-get -f install?

> Thanks
> Adam

Justin