Re: i810_audio can't be loaded

Gregor Gerstorfer wrote:
hi, i'm also trying to install sarge on my (acer) laptop and i'm
getting the same error message (i810_audio can't be loaded) but can't
realy find helpfull google results. i think you already solved the
problem, and maybe you can help me please?!

It is difficult to offer a precise diagnosis without knowing more about
your hardware and which version of the kernel you are using, but I get
the feeling that hotplug is trying to load a depreciated module
(i810_audio) and this hangs your kernel during boot. This problem will
most likely go away once you have fully installed the new sound system
architecture (ALSA). However, we have to figure out a way to get your
system to boot before you can install that. (The necessary packages are
called "alsa-base" and "alsa-utils".)

I have never had your exact problem, but what I would try is to
blacklist the offending module in /etc/hotplug/blacklist. Since you can
currently not boot your freshly installed Sarge system, you will have to
boot from a CD (for example the Debian installer CD in "rescue" mode or
from Knoppix) and find a way to edit /etc/hotplug/blacklist on your
harddisk. If you add a line which just contains the name of the module,
"i810_audio", hotplug will stop to attempt loading it at the next normal
boot process. Hopefully this will be enough to let booting continue
normally.

(It is hard to judge from your message how familiar you are with Linux,
so if you need more details about the steps outlined above, just ask.
Maybe somebody else will have a better idea anyway...)

Regards,
           Florian