Re: No partition media

On 4/5/06, Matt Zagrabelny <mzagrabe@d.umn.edu> wrote:
On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 08:27 -0400, Aaron Stromas wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> This is something new for me. I got this Dell GX520 as my new
> development box and tried to install Debian 3.1 (sarge) on it. The
> installed does not fine the disks: "No partition media". This box has
> 80G SATA as disk 0 and 80G PATA as disk 1. I saw a suggestion to usie
> linux26 as installer parameter - didn't work for me. Any suggestions?
> TIA,

is there a legacy mode for your sata disk? this would be an option in
the bios. if there is you could try to install sarge that way, then
after installation compile a 2.6 with the correct drivers and such and
use the disk natively.

also, if sarge is not a must item for you, you could try the etch
installer.

-matt zagrabelny

Thanks, Matt and Simon. Etch was the path of least resistance. Tinkering with BIOS didn't appeal to me, especially not knowing what to change. I think, there is something called compatibility mode, but I didn't try it.

-a