Re: Making Emergency bootable CD on Debian 3.1 2.4.27 kernel

Pabla,Balbir [Ontario] wrote:

1. On Dell PowereEdge 2800 server (no floppy) on this system, I would like to make emergency bootable CD so that I can bring up the machine using OLD kernel in case there is problem in booting using new compiled kernel( I have to recompile the kernel using HIGHMEM64G=y in order toaccess 8GB memory on system). I want to prepare myself, in case there is a problem with new OS. I am using GRUB as boot loader.

NB: There is no need to remove the old kernel, when you install the new one.

from aptitude's information for mindi:

creates boot/root disks based on your system
Mindi is a script to create boot/root disks based on your system. It uses your kernel, modules, tools and libraries. It is used for the Mondo disaster recovery suite to create the boot media.

Homepage: http://www.mondorescue.org

2. Similary on my laptop (no CD drive on it), I would like to make emergency floppy disk. The laptop is running Debian 3.1 with 2.4.27 kernel.

I installed debian on a usb-drive for emergency and other uses. Requires no cd-drive, but usb-bootable bios.

Johannes