Re: Will wine|win4lin|VMWare save my XP bacon?

On (03/04/06 09:17), Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> From: Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com>
> Subject: Re: Will wine|win4lin|VMWare save my XP bacon?
> Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 09:17:44 -0700
> 	FORGED_RCVD_HELO autolearn=no version=3.1.0
>
> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 22:14:41 -0500
> John <JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>

> > I do not fully understand what happened. I was NOT using any repair
> > CD; the only XP resources available were those on the partition I had
> > copied via dd to /dev/hdb1 (D:, in Windows talk) from /dev/hda1

<snip from my earlier post>

> its really pretty simple, Windows doesn't like to boot off of any
> drive but the first partition of the first hard-drive. Why? who
> knows. but the "map" commands you used in GRUB fool it into thinking
> its the first drive so then it boots just fine.
>
> I can only guess that as part of its boot process it checks for
> certain bits on the disk, but being Windows, it doesn't specify "my"
> disk, but "the first" disk... you know what happens when you assume.
>
> You happened to have XP on BOTH disks and since they were duplicate
> images, your D: windows found what it needed on the C: drive and thus
> booted... until you killed the C: drive. make sense?

What you say makes sense, but it's not what happened. Let me
recapitulate as simply as I can:

1. I copied my whole Windows XP partition to another disk; actual
command: dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/dev/hdb1 bs=$((1*1024*1024)). (Warning:
the partitions must be the same size.
2. I booted into XP (from the original disk), and it discovered "new
hardware," and recognized both C: and D;
3. I (foolishly) wiped /dev/hda1, and then copied by Debian root
partition: dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/hda1 bs=$((1*1024*1024)). (Same
warning as 1. above.)
4. Next I rewrote /boot/grub/menu.lst to reflect the new location of
the XP installation: root (hd1,0)
5. XP wouldn't boot. I tried various stuff, finally wrote d-u, got the
suggestion to try mapping.
6. Booted successfully into Windows XP. It's at this point that the
puzzling event occurred: XP reinstalled itself, without asking AT
ALL. It could not possibly have drawn on resources from C: (aka
/dev/hda1), since that location was now occupied by Debian GNU/Linux.
Had the events occured at step 2, your explanation would very likely
be correct.  But not at step 6.

> in fact, as I go back and read this over, it makes even more
> sense. Its probably not that windows "Cares" which partition its one,
> but that its hardwired to access the first disk for something during
> its boot process and when it isn't the first disk, fails. THe "map"
> redirects that access to the proper disk.

Andrew, thanks for taking a stab at it. Probably this is more detail
than anyone really wanted to have.

--
JohnRChamplin@columbus.rr.com
PGP key 1024D/99421A63 2005-01-05