Re: RE: Sarge NFS Root: INIT: id 1 respawning too fast

Hi there,

(Please excuse my probably pityful english - it's not an excuse, but my native language is French)

I just ran into the same problem :
- Made a fresh debootstrap install
- WGETed kernel 2.6.16.1, compiled it and its module (make menuconfig ; make bzImage ; make modules ; make modules_install ; moved and renamed bzImage to /boot and so on)
- Finally succeeded to boot an a full RAID1 system (except from the swap, RAID0) (it was a lot of non-fun to achieve this since i'm urged)
- (It could be of some interest to mention the tutorial i mainly (but not only) used to do all of that.)
- At boot, just after cron started, same error : all six inits failed.

I made a somewhat similar install a year ago, and had no problem with special devices.
I googled the symptom, and found this FAQ

Examining the content of  /dev, i'm really surprised to find very few special devices... As for TTYs, there where only tty and tty0. No PTYs. No HDxN. The absents list is long, so i'll stop there.

I just created some missing TTYs (tty1 to tty19) using mknod, but it obviously is not the way it should be done... It seems to solve the problem (only seems, 'cause i guess the system should load startx to display a logon screen - i "apt-get install"ed kde & kde-i18n-fr, and it doesn't... When manually starting x, i have a "fatal server error: no screens found" error, which is probably normal since the needed special device is not there too).
I made a somewhat similar install a year ago, and had no problem at all with special devices.

So, i'm looking for the normal way such special devices should be created... I'm not very familiar with Linux or Unix systems, so the following questions may sound stupid... But i'm really trying to learn, so answers will be welcomed, as will be pointers to internet or book resources !
Should they be installed along with Debian ?
Since some of the devices found on a standard Knoppix seems to relate to kernel options (rfcommNN, isdnNN) , maybe i missed some critical option during kernel compilation ?

Thanks a lot in advance for any help !!