Burning files bigger than 2GB in k3b??

When I try to burn a dvd with a file bigger than 2GB, k3b tells me 'There are files bigger than 2GB, enabling udf...' etc etc. The burn session takes a second and finishes reporting sucess, which is evidently wrong. Then, when I try to mount the dvd, it mounts, but there is nothing inside it. 'mount' says the device is mounted with udf fs supposedly correct.
k3b is 0.12.2.
dvd+rw-tools is 5.21.4.10.8-1

anyone help? I'm splitting files to <2GB parts, which is laborious...