Re: kernels: i386 vs optimized

On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 10:12 -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> B.Hoffmann wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 12:09 +0100, B.Hoffmann wrote:
> >
> >>Hello,
> >>I imagine the performance gain will probably be negligible on a desktop
> >>at home, or are there other benefits like better media support?
> >>
> >>Thanks again.
> >>

> > Not to worry, I'll just try out if it actually makes a difference on a
> > 999Mhz Duron.
> >

> I think the main difference is that the -k7 and -686 kernels have
> CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y set so that if you have more than 1GB of memory you
> can actually access it all.
>
> -Roberto

On the desktop, go for it.  The feeling of responsiveness on the desktop
is less the big times you wait for an application to start, but more how
quickly the menus snap down and their dialogs to appear.  For these
kinds of things, the optimized binary makes a marked improvement.

If this kind of thing is important to you, look into the more optimized
libc6 as well.

chance