SATA disk smart or not?

Hi,

I get contradictory messages about smart enabled for my SATA WD800JD-60LUA0. Running Sarge BTW.

When I do hdparm -I /dev/sda, I get:

ATA device, with non-removable media
        Model Number:       ST380011A
        Serial Number:      4JV6GCK4
        Firmware Revision:  8.01
Commands/features:
        Enabled Supported:
           *    READ BUFFER cmd
           *    WRITE BUFFER cmd
           *    Host Protected Area feature set
           *    Look-ahead
           *    Write cache
           *    Power Management feature set
                Security Mode feature set
           *    SMART feature set
           *    FLUSH CACHE EXT command
           *    Mandatory FLUSH CACHE command
           *    Device Configuration Overlay feature set
           *    48-bit Address feature set
                SET MAX security extension
           *    DOWNLOAD MICROCODE cmd
           *    General Purpose Logging feature set
           *    SMART self-test
           *    SMART error logging

But when I do smartctl -a /dev/sda, I get:

Device: ATA      WDC WD800JD-60LU Version: 07.0
Serial number:      WD-WMAMD4147178
Device type: disk
Local Time is: Fri Mar 31 10:44:33 2006 CST
Device does not support SMART

So what is it? Hdparm says yes and smartctl says no.

Any thoughts? That drive is brand new. I would be suprised if it did not support smart, but what do I know.