Re: GAIM 1.5.0

On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 01:40:13PM -0500, Robert Wolfe wrote:
> I downloaded and built GAIM 1.5.0 for the Sparc port of Linux and now when I
> run apt-get dist-upgrade it tells me that it wants to update GAIM when the
> version already available is older than what I have installed on my
> computer.  Is there any way I can continue upgrading everything else EXCEPT
> for GAIM?
>
> I also have the same problem with the 2.2.3 version of Sylpheed which I
> downloaded a built binaries of for use on my Ultra 5.
>
> I have the .deb files for the Sparc/Debian port for GAIM 1.5.0 if it would
> be ok for me to contribute them.
>
> FWIW, I am running v3.1 on a Sun U5.
>
> --
> (\__/)
> (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
> (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Hi Robert,
you can 'hold' packages. this allows them to NOT be upgraded. But it
could also stop other packages from being upgraded due to dependencies.

I use aptitude. and find the packages. then press '=' to put the
packages on 'hold'. there are other ways to do this.

the debian-mentors site is a place to learn about debian packageing and
has a 'repository' for you to upload non-debian-developers debs. You can
also look into helping the current debian-developers(a person with a
@debian.org email) or debian-maintainer(a person like you who gets
his/her work into debian by having a debian-developers look at it and ok
it for the archive) with these packages by showing them your work.

You may also be able to become the debian maintainer. do what ever you
find interests you. I'm sure the non-i386 ports can use help!

Cheers,
Kev