Re: 2.6.16 hangs at boot

Bob McGowan wrote:
Hello,

At least in bash, both '=' and '==' work as the condition. From the bash man page:

string1 == string2
    True if the strings are equal.  = may be used in  place  of  ==
    for strict POSIX compliance.

The original poster said "When I boot that system the boot stops solid in the grep stmnt in /etc/hotplug/usb.rc line 200:
   if [ ”$SYNTHESIZE” = false ]"

I'd suggest looking at the 'grep' command itself. Since I don't know what the script looks like, this is just a guess, but if the file name being grep'd on is provided via a variable, and the variable never got an assignment, then the grep would be reading STDIN, which would cause the whole process to 'hang', while 'grep' waits for input. There may be other reasons for lack of input, but I'd wager it's 'grep' that is causing the hang.

Bob