2.6.16 hangs at boot

Hi,

Maybe someone has a suggestion here.

Problem:
In Sarge I normally run the -ck kernel patches from Con Kolivas.
He just came out with 2.6.16-ck1 and -ck2.
When I boot that system the boot stops solid in the grep stmnt in /etc/hotplug/usb.rc line 200:

if [ ”$SYNTHESIZE” = false ]
|| [ ! -f /proc/bus/usb/devices ]
|| ! grep -q -i bus /proc/bus/usb/devices; then

That grep he never comes out of: I put a set -x in usb.rc.
Then I tried the vanilla kernel from kernel.org.
That also hangs in the same place!

So this is exactly the same software/hardware except for the kernel and it has never happened before 2.6.16.

Now what?

Thanks!