Re: kernel upgrading problem

Hi S. M. Ibrahim,

You should reply to the list, to make sure others can help you.

Also, you should avoid top posting (putting your reply on top).  It's no big
deal, but it makes it hard to follow for people who come in late.  I've
edited your response appropriately.

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 06:42, S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu) wrote:
> On 3/29/06, Justin Guerin <justin_guerin@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu) wrote:
> > > After making dist upgrade from sarge to sid, when i tried to upgrade
> > > kernel 2.6.8-1-686 to 2.6.16-1-686 it's failed.
> > >
> > > Here is the output of apt
> > >
> > > tanha:/home/tania# apt-get install -f
> > > Reading package lists... Done
> > > Building dependency tree... Done
> > > 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 35 not upgraded.
> > > 1 not fully installed or removed.
> > > Need to get 0B of archives.
> > > After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
> > > Setting up linux-image-2.6.16-1-686 (2.6.16-3) ...
> > > Running depmod.
> > > Finding valid ramdisk creators.
> > > Using mkinitramfs-kpkg to build the ramdisk.
> > > Other valid candidates: mkinitramfs-kpkg mkinitrd.yaird
> > > /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs-kpkg: line 55: supported_host_version: unbound
> > > variable
> > > mkinitramfs-kpkg failed to create initrd image.
> > > Using mkinitrd.yaird to build the ramdisk.
> > > Other valid candidates: mkinitramfs-kpkg mkinitrd.yaird
> > > yaird error: destination /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16-1-686.new already
> >
> > exists
> >
> > > (fatal)
> > > mkinitrd.yaird failed to create initrd image.
> > > Failed to create initrd image.
> > > dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.16-1-686 (--configure):
> > >  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 9
> > > Errors were encountered while processing:
> > >  linux-image-2.6.16-1-686
> > > E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
> >
> > It seems to me that mkinitramfs-kpkg's failure to build the image is
> > stopping mkinitrd.yaird from building the image.  What happens if you
> > remove the initramfs-tools package?  Also, check that yaird is the latest
> > version.  I had problems building the 2.6.16 image until I upgraded yaird
> > to the latest available in sid.  I am only recommending you use yaird
> > because A) it worked for me and B) it looks like yaird only fails because
> > mkinitramfs-kpkg failed before it.
> >
> > Justin
> >
> No i allready upgrade the yaird but nothing improved.
>
> Btw, after dooing some hashal i installed the kernel 2.6.15-1-686 still
> cann't upgrade to 2.6.16-1-686

What is hashal?  I've never heard that word.

If you could post your setup, we may be able to help.  What are the contents
of /etc/fstab (local mounts are the only important ones).  How about the
contents of /etc/yaird/Default.cfg and /etc/yaird/Templates.cfg?  Have either
of them changed from the stock install?

Justin Guerin