Re: kernel upgrading problem

S. M. Ibrahim (Lavlu) wrote:

> After making dist upgrade from sarge to sid, when i tried to upgrade
> kernel 2.6.8-1-686 to 2.6.16-1-686 it's failed.
>
> Here is the output of apt
>
> tanha:/home/tania# apt-get install -f
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 35 not upgraded.
> 1 not fully installed or removed.
> Need to get 0B of archives.
> After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
> Setting up linux-image-2.6.16-1-686 (2.6.16-3) ...
> Running depmod.
> Finding valid ramdisk creators.
> Using mkinitramfs-kpkg to build the ramdisk.
> Other valid candidates: mkinitramfs-kpkg mkinitrd.yaird
> /usr/sbin/mkinitramfs-kpkg: line 55: supported_host_version: unbound
> variable
> mkinitramfs-kpkg failed to create initrd image.
> Using mkinitrd.yaird to build the ramdisk.
> Other valid candidates: mkinitramfs-kpkg mkinitrd.yaird
> yaird error: destination /boot/initrd.img-2.6.16-1-686.new already exists
> (fatal)
> mkinitrd.yaird failed to create initrd image.
> Failed to create initrd image.
> dpkg: error processing linux-image-2.6.16-1-686 (--configure):
>  subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 9
>  linux-image-2.6.16-1-686

It seems to me that mkinitramfs-kpkg's failure to build the image is
stopping mkinitrd.yaird from building the image.  What happens if you
remove the initramfs-tools package?  Also, check that yaird is the latest
version.  I had problems building the 2.6.16 image until I upgraded yaird
to the latest available in sid.  I am only recommending you use yaird
because A) it worked for me and B) it looks like yaird only fails because
mkinitramfs-kpkg failed before it.

Justin