Re: how to address people

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 10:45 -0500, Leonid Grinberg wrote:
> > Why not? Serena Cantor wants help.
>
> Because this is a list that is used specifically for Debian questions,
> and not for questions in general. For example, posting a question
> about how to best cook shrimp would be totally inappropriate, whereas
> posting a question about how to configure X is.

but are we configuring X for debian? what about X in general?
what if i have a question about firewalls. this is not a debian specific
question, but a general computer question.

the point is, what should be posted and should not be posted is a grey
and fuzzy line.

d-u should not be so black and white about what should and should not be
posted without looking at the rationale for posting the off-topic
question.

> Furthermore, at the risk of sounding like a typical RTFM-screaming,
> angry geek, let me say that this sort of information (about how to
> address people) is readily available online, and if the original
> writer would have only asked Google, this entire thread would not be
> in existence.

a person whose primary language is not english *may* have a hard time
navigating google to find the correct info regarding addressing english
speaking individuals. this list is full of english speaking people.
seems like it may be a reasonable question to ask.

-matt zagrabelny