Problem with X

Hi all,

On my testing box, where a lot of installation/removal happens as I both 1) test new configs and 2) learn how to do things without fear of data loss, I've run into an issue with X windows
No graphical/X apps appear to be able to open. Fluxbox doesn't report anything, but trying to open a graphical app from shell fails with:

Xlib: connection to ":1" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified

Sometimes multiple times per application. I do have Xauthority, I am running as user (not root), and my DISPLAY variable is set correctly.
Any ideas folks?