Firefox SPAM filtering (Observation)

As the subject says, this is not a problem, just an observation. I have been using Thunderbird for several months, now, and its internal SPAM filters seem to be doing fairly well, but there is still uncaught SPAM at the end of the day.

Other than filtering into seperate folders for ease of finding what I want, the only filter I had added was one to simply delete all of that AOL challenge-response junk. I never see that stuff anymore.

I ran a test for 9 days. I set up a new folder and moved any uncaught SPAM into it. I also did not delete any SPAM from the Junk folder. At the end of 9 days I had 105 caught SPAMS in the junk folder and 85 uncaught. I looked for any simple rules that might catch a significant amount of this. What I found was quite significant. I use Yahoo POP mail. Of the 85 uncaught messages, 72 of them were marked as YahooFiltered Bulk. Not only that, but of the 105 caught SPAM messages, all but 2 were marked as YahooFilteredBulk. There were NO false positives. Yahoo is obviously doing an excellant job. I have added a filter to catch these and have it moving to a seperate folder. Yesterdday and last night 27 SPAM messages came in. Only 1 was uncaught. 26 were marked by Yahoo, but only 20 of them were caught by Thunderbirds internal filters.

I think that this rule is staying in.

--
Marc Shapiro

No boom today. Boom tomorrow. There's always a boom tomorrow.
What?! Look, somebody's got to have some damn perspective around here.
Boom. Sooner or later ... boom!

- Susan Ivanova: B5 - Grail