Re: [ADMIN] Postgresql 8.1.3 Debian installation encoding question

On Sun, 2006-03-26 at 10:20 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> It's derived from the locale, so make sure all your locales are set up
> correctly.
OK, but how is it derived? As far as I know, I did not change anything
in the locales since the previous time I installed PostgreSQL.

My locales are:
jkr@panoramix:~$ locale
LANG=
LANGUAGE=en_US:en_GB
LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

I solved the immediate "problem" by doing an "initdb -E UTF8" but I am
not quite satisfied by that sollution: it makes the installation of
PostgreSQL more difficult for non-initiated users (including myself),
who think that a simple "apt-get install'  does the right thing.

TIA

Joost