Re: updating drivers for an ATI card

[od] eeman wrote:
[...]
IT has become clear now that the reason why xwindow
was not running was because of my video card. I found on ATI's site a Linux
driver update.( Clicky
clicky<https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=300>)
however it only says it's "stable" with Redhat and something else. If
all
possible, could somebody please give me a quick lesson on getting modules
for debian like this onto a cd and installing them? I tryed to simply put it
on a cd and run base config and scan it for modules (packages) but it then
asks me for a Debian cd. Somebody please help me if all possible with this.

I would take a chance with the installer. Even though ATI says that thay support only Redhat and Suse, the installer might allow you to install the files in a place of your chosing (I suggest /usr/local/lib/ati).

Or you could use rpm2cpio (in the "rpm" package) to manually extract the files from the .rpm on ATI's web site. Then you should be able to look in the directory structure that rpm2cpio created and find the required drivers (and other files).

But before you download the software, make sure your system meets the minimum requirements:
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.23.7.html#172686

Traditionally, to load a module you use insmod:
# insmod ./some-module.o

But I've never loaded proprietary, pre-compiled modules before. Perhaps there is a different procedure for that.

various info
video card: genuine ATI X800XL AGP
1 gig of ram
stable release of debian on i386 dvds