Re: Why does dpkg think my pentium computer is an AMD?

Peter Stoddard wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> I am running sarge and kernel 2.6.14.3-smp on a box with a pentium 4 dual
> core processor.
>
> peter@paris:~/$ uname -a
> Linux paris 2.6.14.3-smp #1 SMP Fri Dec 9 13:21:36 CST 2005 x86_64
> GNU/Linux

That's weird.  I can't find a kernel in the archive with that name.  It
should have the architecture listed in it somewhere.

> But dpkg thinks its an amd:
>
> paris:/usr/share# dpkg --print-installation-architecture
> amd64
>
> paris:/usr/share# dpkg --print-architecture
> amd64

Not really.  amd64 just means it's a 64 bit x86 architecture, since AMD beat
Intel to the punch.  So, for example, a Pentium 4 with EM64T would identify
itself in the same way.  Do your processors contain EM64T extensions?

> I recently downloaded pine_4.64_i386.deb from
> http://www.washington.edu/pine/getpine/linux.html
> and when I tried to instal it I got the following error:
>
> #######################
>
> paris:/home/peter/Downloads# dpkg -i pine_4.64_i386.deb
> dpkg: error processing pine_4.64_i386.deb (--install):
>  package architecture (i386) does not match system (amd64)
>  pine_4.64_i386.deb
>
> #######################
>
> Someone else installed this os, and I don't know how they got dpkg to
> think it
> was an amd system.  Is there any way to get it dpkg to report the proper
> architecture so I can install the pine package?
>
> Pete
If you've got a 32 bit subsystem, I would think this package would install.
However, I've never messed with a 64 bit system, so I don't know exactly
how it works.  In any case, first verify that you've got a 64 bit or 32 bit
processor.

Justin