Re: Fujitsu N3410 Hd won't mount

Damon Randel wrote:

> Fujitsu N3410 Hd won't boot linux.
>
> I think that linux is seeing my ultra ata 100 as a scsi or sata device and
> can't use it. what kind of drivers or modules do i need to make this work
> (gory details below) . I've installed a couple of different distros on
> desktops and have not had major problems. This is probably something
> obvious or easy but I am so new to this and my Google Fu is just up to
> this.

I don't think this is something obvious.  It's taken me a while to dig up
this information, so don't feel bad. :-)  Of course, don't feel bad at all
if this information doesn't help.  ;-)

> Basic Specs
> Fujitsu Lifebook N3410
> Intel Pentium m 740 1.73GHz
> 915GM chipset
> 512M Ram
> Graphics - mobile Intel 915GM/GMS 910GML
> HD - Toshiba MK8025GAS - Ultra DMA 100 - it is an ata not a sata drive
> according to specs @ toshiba
According to the information I found, you are correct.

> IDE/ATA controllers intel 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA storage controllers
I believe this is a SATA controller chipset.  This is where your problem
begins.  Luckily, it can be solved, since SATA includes backward
compatibility with PATA.  You just have to enable it.

> [...]
> Checked google & google/linux checked linux on laptops (only 1 n series
> and it was much older) looked at several other lifebooks did not see any
> with similar problem.
> Tried repartitioning - Checked partitions with Partition Magic, Partition
> Commander, Partition manager
> Checked hard drive with two different diagnostic packages - reported no
> problems
> Re- Installed again and again and again checking and repartitioning each
> time. Grub works can boot to windows or attempt the linux.
> Next tried several different live cd's (i'v been playing with these on and
> off for several months on my desktop computers) with different results.
> Here are the results.

> Kanotix
> 2005-4, 2006 ce-bit rc 3 with many different boot options.
> Boots up and every thing seems to work (there are error messages during
> boot look below full details). Sound, excelant video, even the wirless and
> i have net access. The hard drive shows on the desktop as sda. can't
> access it. try launching qtparted and it goes into never never land (same
> thing happens in knoppix).and it seems to keep trying to acess the hard
> drive all the time and the 2nd set of errors on terminal 1 just keep
> scrolling on and on.
>
> 1st set of errors
> ata1:  translated ata stat/err 0x51/04 to scsi sk/asc/ascq 0xb/00/00 -
> REPEATS 5 TIMES and then
> Buffer I/O errors on device sda logical block 0
> repeats the above 3 times
>
> continues to boot and the next set of errors
> ata1: port reset p_is 40000001 is 1 pis 0 cmd 4017 tf 4d1 ss 113 se 0
> ata1: translated ata stat/err 0x51/04 to scsi sk/asc/ascq 0xb/00/00
> ata1: staus=0x51 { driveready seekcomplete error }
> ata1: error=0x40 { drivestatus error }
> endrequest: I/O error dev sda sector xxxxxxxx (changes)
> buffer I/O error on device sda logical block xxxxxxxxxxx
> repeats the above endlessly.

> Knoppix
> 4.0.2 2005 9-23  tried several different boot options
> Boots great. no error messages.sound video and wireless works. does not
> endlessly try to access the hard drive. looks good seems ok except is try
> to use qt-parted and the it goes into never never land. SDA shows up on
> the desktop but you can't mount it

> Gentoo live
> 1st time boots lots of sata messages then seems to freeze on ahci for 20
> or 30 seconds and then just stops when it tries the cd. Attempting to
> mount CD:- /dev/sda and just stops there i'v left it going for a couple
> minutes and nothing happens. Boot with the nosata option and it boots
> great and it mounts the cd as /dev/hda.
> Ubuntu and Kubuntu (no x-server working) and a couple of others can't even
> boot up and tried al sorts of options
>
> Sorry that this is so long and drawn out. I didn't know what information
> you need. I would be thankful for any help or explanations of this

I can't be sure of what's happening in all your live CD trials because I
don't know the kernel version, but I found a page [0] where someone
mentions getting a normal PATA drive working with a SATA controller took
some work.

Basically, if you have 2.6.12.x, you've got to edit the definitions in
includes/linux/libata.h, then recompile the kernel.  However, for 2.6.14
(and presumably up), you can add the option "libata.atapi_enabled=1" to the
kernel command line in the bootloader configuration.  You should be able to
provide this option to any live CD that uses a 2.6.14 or later kernel.
Give that a try, and let us know if it works.

If it doesn't, you may need to provide the relevant part of lspci -vv and
the error messages you're seeing.

Hope that helps,
Justin

[0]:http://linux.spiney.org/debian_gnu_linux_on_an_ibm_thinkpad_t43p_cdrw_dvdrw_multi_burner