Re: Strange PPPoe problem

Jacob S wrote:

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 17:53:17 +0100
jmt <jmt@remotecomputingsystems.com> wrote:

> So, this problem has me stumped. I've tried playing around with the
> PPPoe options in /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider, and re-ran pppoeconf a
> couple times, but I can't get around the e-mail freeze. Does anybody
> else know what might cause a problem like this?

Try this in your dsl-provider file :

pty "/usr/sbin/pppoe -I eth0 -T 80 -m 1452"

or

pty "/usr/sbin/pppoe -I eth0 -T 80 -m 1412"

and in the same file, set :

mtu 1492

Same results. Web works fine, e-mail hangs after getting the number
of new messages available. :-( I also tried playing with flow control -
changing it to software instead of hardware, since there is "no modem"
with fiber. (In actuality, I guess the modem is the ONT on the outside
of my house, which converts the signal from fiber to ethernet and back.)

Did you verify the MTU size (eg. by ifconfig)?  For some reason I can't change
the MTU size in the dsl-provider file -- it stays at 1492.  I had to change
it in a script in /etc/network/if-up.d.