Re: what kernel modules am I really using?

Ivan Glushkov wrote:
lsmod for me is always showing that no module is used, which is defenetely not true (for example for the driver modules). So, how do I see that for those modules?

There are periods of time when certain modules are not used; for example, I'm offline right now, so lsmod tells me this:

ppp_deflate             3000   0 (autoclean)
zlib_deflate           18840   0 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
bsd_comp                4184   0 (autoclean)

But when I'm online, ppp_deflate is used. I've always used intuition and guesswork to connect program with the modules they use. For examples, the ppp and ppp_deflate modules are use by the pppd daemon; the snd-* modules are used by alsa.

I guess you could remove a module with rmmod, then run a program that you think uses that module and see what happens. If that program uses the module, either the module will be automatically reloaded, or the program will abort.