Re: bootloaders selecting wrong video adapter [was: GRUB doesn't come up in new installation]

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:26:39 +0000
"Levi Waldron" <onemorenut@gmail.com> wrote:

> At least, I think that's what the problem is after installing lilo on
> on the the HD partitions, by booting a live CD then using chroot.
> liloconfig gave me the following warning:
>
> Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.
>
> (nb. I wasn't actually able to follow through with installing lilo
> from a chroot environment)  But this coincides with my experience of
> having the screen blank just as GRUB should appear, then seeing the
> hard drive light go as if the OS were booting.

it probably is booting. you've got the wrong video mode for your setup. you should probably specify vga=ask in the kernel line of your boot also, this seemed appropriate:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:iz_Ho_51kzoJ:www.linux-mag.com/content/view/77/2083/+grub+video+mode&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2