Re: help

patrick bourne wrote:

From: "Patrick Bourne" <bon2112@peoplepc.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: help with installation
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:23 AM

Hello,   I have recently downloaded the businesscard
image for the stable release of the debian OS. Can I
use this version along with Windows 98 or would you
recommend installing debian by itself. I went to the
command prompt and typed -  cd  D:\debian and it
changed to the D drive which is my CD ROM drive.  I
had my installation cd in the drive but I cannot
initiate the installation.  The business card release
has 30 MB of data and I put it on a CD. Will this make
a difference. Patrick
Bourne
If you are unfamiliar with Linux partitionas and filesystems, have a look at http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Debian_basic_features.

If you don't have any important data in your existing Win98 installation, the easiest thing is to remove it and install Win 98 and Debian from scratch. See http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#install-sarge.

1. Boot from the Win98 install disc and install Win98 , making the primary partition less than the size of hard disc. Leave room for a partition for Debian and a small partition for 'swap'.

2. Boot from the Debian install disc. I prefer to use 'expert26' because you have more control over installation.

3. During installation, choose to partition the hard disc manually. If you have a single IDE disc, /dev/hda1 will already exist (Win98). Add a Linux partition for Debian (/dev/hda2) and a small swap partition (dev/hda3).

4. The Grub bootloader will be installed automatically. Whenever you boot in future, the Grub screen will pop up and you can choose which system to boot.

Hth,
Chris.