Re: help making multi-boot system

Rocky Ou wrote:

> Mike McCarty wrote

Make a complete disaster recovery set.

 Is Knoppix live CD good enough?

Good enough for what? A disaster recovery set is whatever
you need in order to be able to recover your Windows 95
from a zapped hard drive. What do you use for backup now?

The point of these statements is that you are about to
make changes to your machine which may make it completely
unbootable. You need to be able to get back to where you
are now from a disc which is essentially blank. When you
start making changes, you may find that Windows has "gone
away". In fact, since Win95 uses FAT, you almost surely will
have to re-install it after you resize your partition.

Save a copy of your MBR on a floppy or other
removable medium. Also save the first sector of each partition
and each logical disc within extended partitions onto removable
media.

How can I do that? Can you give me some hints or reference please?

There are a few ways to do that. What removable media do you have?
If you can boot KNOPPIX, and have a removable medium you can use
with KNOPPIX, then you can use fdisk and dd to make those. Without
more information about your machine, I can't give you more detailed
guidance.

If you can't boot KNOPPIX, then there are Windows tools which
can also be used. To copy off the MBR one has to write a little
program using debug, and the BRs can be copied using debug
commands. Are you familiar with debug?

I hadn't thought about the inability to resize FAT partitions
without reformatting. Perhaps a tool could mark the now unavailable
clusters as all being bad. If you are going to have to reformat
and reinstall Win95, then saving the MBR and BRs is not so important.

Then make a GRUB boot floppy and practice booting both Windows

and Linux using the boot floppy.

Could you tell me how to make a boot floppy? Can I make a boot CD since my
laptop does not surpport floppy?

I don't know. Can you write a CDROM? I'm not familiar with how to
make a GRUB boot CDROM, but the GRUB website should tell you how.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.