Re: help making multi-boot system

patrick bourne wrote:
From: "Patrick Bourne" <bon2112@peoplepc.com>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Subject: help with installation
Date: Thursday, March 23, 2006 11:23 AM

Hello,   I have recently downloaded the businesscard
image for the stable release of the debian OS. Can I
use this version along with Windows 98 or would you
recommend installing debian by itself. I went to the

Making a multi boot system is the most complicated
piece of system admin that one can do. OTOH, many
have done it successfully. I have created a few
multi-boot systems, some with three bootable OS on
them. This system can boot WinXP and Linux, and
has some funky recovery mechanisms which made it
difficult. But it works. So, take heart!

command prompt and typed -  cd  D:\debian and it
changed to the D drive which is my CD ROM drive.  I
had my installation cd in the drive but I cannot
initiate the installation.  The business card release
has 30 MB of data and I put it on a CD. Will this make
a difference.

You need to boot from the CDROM.

It is easier if they don't live on the same disc, but here
are the steps you need to understand and perform. If possible,
do this on a machine which you don't need to use in order
to get more help here :-)

(1) You need to back up your system completely. Make a complete
disaster recovery set. Verify that it can be used to recover
your system. Save a copy of your MBR on a floppy or other
removable medium. Also save the first sector of each partition
and each logical disc within extended partitions onto removable
media.

(2) Make room for Linux. You need to repartition your disc. Partition
Magic may help you with this. It may require that you re-install
Windows. When you have your system repartitioned with the Windows
partition(s) smaller, verify that you can boot Windows and that
it runs normally. Verify that you can do everything you want to do
before proceeding.

(3) Decide how you are going to make your Linux partitions.
AIUI, the Debian installer can do this for you in a semi-automated
way, or you can do it yourself. Partitioning Linux has as many
ways to do it as there are people who perform it. YMMV

(4) Install Linux, and select an option which leaves existing
Windows partitions intact. At this point, you must decide how
you are going to manage boot. With Windows 98 you are probably
ok selecting GRUB to manage your boot from the MBR, and selecting
chain loading of Windows. With WinNT and WinXP I find that
letting the Windows Boot Manager manage the boot is a better
way to go. Again, YMMV. You might prefer not to let GRUB manage
the boot from the MBR right away, but rather install GRUB into
the BR of the Linux Boot partition. This is what I recommend.
Then make a GRUB boot floppy and practice booting both Windows
and Linux using the boot floppy. After you are proficient with
using GRUB to manage the boots and have that working, then you
can install GRUB into the MBR of the disc.

HTH, and Good Luck!

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.