Re: Brother HL printer, how to install it into the debian system??

On 3/23/06, lmyho <lm_yho@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have a Brother HL5040 printer, and I have downloaded it driver for linux/debian
> system from Brother's website, it is a .deb pkg file.
>
> However the apt-get program couldn't find this driver pkg to install it, even when I
> gave a full path for the location of the pkg.
>
> Chris suggested to run dpkg -i at location of the pkg to install it, I did and the
> pkg was installed,:) however it didn't work right. the effect is that the printer
> will print but print out only empty papers and will not stop such horrible printing
> until I turn its power off! :((  It still not working.....:(((((
>
> Could anyone tell me what I can do to install this Brother HL5040 printer onto my
> debian system?  Or where can I find the right or compitable driver (if it's driver
> problem) for it to install?  THANKS A LOT!!!

I've been a recipient of new Brother printers (they've been using our
company as test-bed of sorts as our company has Linux from the
president down to all employees) and they work just well with the
default auto-detection. I didn't try the online PPD's that Brother
provided. I
--
Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@gmail.com