RE: Workarround for "No common CD-ROM drive was detected"

>>  I am tring to install Debian Sarge in a computer with two SATA HDs
and one IDE
>>  CD-ROM, I get the error "No common CD-ROM drive was detected".
>>  I believe it is this bug:
>>  http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/12/msg00351.html
>>  Any workaround to install Debian 3.1 with Linux 2.6 on that machine
(Linux 2.4
>>  works, but I need 2.6 for other reasons, Ubuntu with Linux 2.6
works) ?
>>  I tried floppies, they only have 2.4, any floppies with 2.6 ? can I
install
>>  from the netinst image like from the floppies (downloading
everything, not
>>  needing the CD itself ?).
>

> You may try the suggestion in http://wiki.foosel.net/linux/t43
>
> - Boot in expert26 mode.
> - deselect ata-piix when asked for modules to enable
> - CD-ROM will be detected
> - Next prompt for modules should offer ata-piix. Select it.
>
> That worked for me at least.
My Config: ThinkPad T43 (notebook)
HDD     : Hitachi PATA
Optical : Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-822S
Chipset : Intel 915PM

Debian Etch Beta2 i386:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/etch_di_beta2/i386/jigdo-dvd/

Surprisingly, I don't see 'ata-piix'
I don't have a SATA HDD, should I still be seeing this problem?
Any solutions?
TIA.

Regards,
Atul T
http://the-shaolin.blogspot.com/
$ cat vmlinuz > /dev/audio and hear the Voice of GOD!