Re: More info -Re: How to install a downloaded printer driver?

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 07:47:55PM -0800, lmyho wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Just wanted to add more info: the printer showing in the "File>Print..." place is a
> printer named lp(via lpr) - which I actually don't know where comes from? - so when
> I print, it is actually using this printer.
>
> For my own Brother HL lasser printer, I tried to use the
> Desktop>Administration>printing tool to install it, but I couldn't find where the
> required .ppd file is located so I couldn't proceed. But this lp(vis lpr) cprinter
> came out anyway, so i just used it to prin and the empty paper print out was the
> result.

Try downloading the cupswrapper deb from the brother site:
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/cups_drivers.html#de
and installing it.  The directions on:
http://solutions.brother.com/linux/sol/printer/linux/cups_wrapper_install.html
seem to suggest that may be all that is required.  Otherwise, remove the
driver and wrapper from your system ('apt-get remove <packagename>' or
your favourite package manager) and try the driver mentioned earlier in
the page the wrapper is on.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
  Generated by Signify v1.14.  For this and more, visit http://www.debian.org/