Re: 2.6.15 with Sarge

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 11:54:43AM -0500, Luis Finotti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently tried to install the linux image 2.6.15 from backports.org.
> I noticed that it would bring other files with it and remove some.  My
> question is: will this make the stock 2.6.8 kernel not work?  Since it
> actually removes stuff, I was worried that I could not keep 2.6.8 as
> my "safe" kernel.
>
> Has any one tried it?  Is there any danger in doing it?

It doesn't remove the 2.6.8 kernel.  It does remove hotplug (if you
install udev), however, you will still have enough on your system to fix
it if there is something wrong with 2.6.15.  That is unlikely anyway.

To be fully safe, apt-get --download-only any packages that will be
removed.  Then you will be able to revert easily if 2.6.15 does not work
out and your network depends on hotplug or something.