Re: How to install a downloaded printer driver?

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 03:30:53PM -0800, lmyho wrote:
> Hi All!
>
> I am trying to install a printer on my brand new :) debian system.  I just
> downloaded the printer driver (it's a .deb package) from the manufacturer's web.
> The downloaded .deb file is at the usr home dir (/home), but when I use "apt-get
> install" to install this driver package, I got msg "E: Couldn't find package".  I
> also tried to add the full path of the driver pkg, apt-get still can't find it.:((

That's because apt-get isn't the tool for .deb's you've downloaded
yourself (see below)

> Could you please tell me how I can let apt-get recognize this dowloaded driver pkg
> and install it, or, where should I put this pkg at so that apt-get can find it?

I think what you want to do is 'dpkg -i <packagename>' from the
directory housing the package.  You'll have to have root privelages to
do so.

> by the way, it's a Brother printer.  Could I find the driver at some place where the
> apt-get can find it by itsself?

Sorry, I can't help you there.  Maybe another list denizen could help.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
She asked me, "What's your sign?"