Re: Where to start

Rocky Ou wrote:

> Hey list... I'm going to install Debian sid on my Dell inspiron 2200
> laptop to make it a dual-boot machine. Can any of you give me some
> suggestions regarding to the following issues before I dive into
> installation process?
>
>    1. I have ADSL access at the normal speed of 50kB/S. Do I need to
>       download full set CD? I saw somebody says Just need to download
>       few of them. Which CD should I download? If you could give me a
>       URL for downloading the necessary CDS, I would really appreciate it?
>    2. Besides back up important info under Windows XP, What are the
>       issues I must address?
>    3. I want to have a place where both Windows and Debian can have
>       access, How can I do it if it is possible?
>    4. Right now it seems Unstable (sid) does not have CD image to
>       downlod. Can I use Testing CD to install and change the
>       sources.list after Debian is runing on my machine?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!

You won't do it with intuition alone. To answer your subject heading
directly, the place to start is here:

http://www.uk.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/

With that laptop I'm quite sure you can build your whole system over
your DSL line with nothing but two floppy disks, which can be made on
your windows machine with these three files*:

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/tools/rwwrtwin.zip
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-i386/current/images/floppy/boot.img
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-i386/current/images/floppy/root.img

* However, if you intend to preserve your existing windows build you
should also extract and examine the contents of this file:

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/tools/fips20.zip