Re: MySQL won't start....

Am Dienstag, den 21.03.2006, 12:46 -0600 schrieb Nate Lundquist:
> Hello everybody, I recently setup a web server on Debian Sarge.
>
> After setup there was the debian-maintinence account for mysql that I
> haven't touched. There was also a root account with no password that I
> did change. But there was also another root account with no password
> that I changed, and ever since then I get the following error when
> trying to start mysql:
>
> /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> '\var\run\mysqld\mysqld.sock ' (2)'
> Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
> '\var\run\mysqld\mysqld.sock\ exists!
>
> Well, it doesn't exist, and I'm not sure what to do. It wasn't until I
> changed the password on the second root account that I started receiving
> this error. Was I supposed to just leave the second root's password blank?

hi, i'm not sure if the error message is related to what you have done
with the password or to mysqld's networking setting.

anyway, how did you change the password? did you use mysqladmin or did
you change the password field in the mysql user table without using the
password function?

usually one would change the password like this if it has not been set
before:
mysqladmin -u root password "newpassword"

or this:
mysql -u root mysql
UPDATE user SET Password=PASSWORD("newpassword") WHERE User="root";

if you set a password use mysql's -p switch to ask for it.

oliver