MySQL won't start....

Hello everybody, I recently setup a web server on Debian Sarge.

After setup there was the debian-maintinence account for mysql that I haven't touched. There was also a root account with no password that I did change. But there was also another root account with no password that I changed, and ever since then I get the following error when trying to start mysql:

/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '\var\run\mysqld\mysqld.sock ' (2)' Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '\var\run\mysqld\mysqld.sock\ exists!

Well, it doesn't exist, and I'm not sure what to do. It wasn't until I changed the password on the second root account that I started receiving this error. Was I supposed to just leave the second root's password blank?