PATH issues

Hello.  I posted a similar thread earlier.  However, I related my PATH issues to the specifics of java and all of the replies on that thread just explained how to install java.  BUT I'm actually interested in PATH issues on debian.

Can someone explain to me where the PATH is set in debian?  Does debian source some file that will apply to BOTH gnome sessions as well as terminal login sessions?  The various profile and bashrc files do not seem to effect the path that is available to gnome, such as when you launch a program via  a gnome launcher.  If you open a terminal from within gnome, the bashrc stuff is applied ( because its a new bash session ) but the profile stuff isn't there.  I understand that this is because gnome has its own login environment script.  BUt I want to know if there's a single place to put PATH admendments that will count for everything on my system whether you login via the terminal or via gnome.  This seems like a fundamental issue, no?