Re: How unstable is Unstable?

Chris Bannister wrote:
On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 03:36:03PM -0300, loos wrote:
Unstable is very unstable:
  On average my desktops need some 300MB updates/week.

eeek! Sort of rules out those on dial up where other people like to use
the phone now and then. :-(

I am updating this machine to unstable from Sarge, initial dist-upgrade
1d 21h ... on a 33.6K modem. Now down to about 4h33m.
Computer wouldn't boot after installing the initramfs-tools package ...
had to mess around in busybox with "run-init /dev/hda3 /sbin/init"
plus afew other bits and pieces untill it booted. Messing with
initramfs-tools didn't seem to help, but I remembered a posting about
yaird which seemed to help.

(yeah, I know rebooting is hazzardous to your health but its not my
machine.)

It depends on your definition for stable.

It can change a lot on occasion (can reach several hundred megabites a week). On the other hand, I very rarely have any problems and when they do occur they usually get fixed rather quickly.

Also, I am not sure if its a package I downloaded or a feature of aptitude but downloads the bug reports for all packages going to be installed and warns me if there are any serious bugs filed against them.