How unstable is Unstable?

Hello,

I must say that I love Debian. It is an amazing system that has never
failed me, and, although we had our ups and downs, continues to serve
me loyally and fully.

But there is one thing that annoys me about it, and that is how long a
package needs to be tested for, before it gets verified as not
dangerous. I use Testing, myself, and am annoyed by a few things. I
used to hate the Debian Firefox package, because it took so long to
get updated. Eventually, I removed it, and I now use the
Mozilla-supplied program, something that I highly recommend. But what
really bugs me is GNOME. Debian finally supplied GNOME 2.12 in Testing
about a month before GNOME 2.14 came out. And it is harder to replace,
because in order to use the code from gnome.org, one needs to
recompile it and then set it up by hand, something that I feel I am
not qualified to do.

Unstable, I know, does not have this problem. So I am wondering, how
unstable is it? I might be getting a new computer within a few months,
and am considering installing Debian Unstable on it. But what should I
expect? Will it crash a few times a month, or a day? How much work is
it?

Thank you very much!

--
Leonid Grinberg