Re: Ctrl-Alt-Fx won't switch between virtual consoles after Sarge->Etch

On Monday, 20.03.2006 at 21:35 +0100, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> I still think that the problem lies somewhere in the configuration of
> your X server, since the VT switching works as soon as you leave X by
> some other means.
>
> You are using KDE if I recall correctly; are you also using the
> graphical login with kdm? There are some known issue related to kdmrc
> when upgrading from KDE 3.3. (see /usr/share/doc/kdm/NEWS.Debian.gz)
>
> Looking at my own /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc, I get the feeling that the
> following section right at the beginning might be relevant for your
> problem since it mentions the ttys:
>
> -------------------------8<-------------------------
> [General]
> ConfigVersion=2.3
> ConsoleTTYs=tty1,tty2,tty3,tty4,tty5,tty6
> PidFile=/var/run/kdm.pid
> ReserveServers=:1,:2,:3
> ServerVTs=-7
> StaticServers=:0
> ------------------------->8-------------------------

I have the same entries here as you.

My feeling is that the problem is more fundamental than KDE config, as
you also suggested.  This is confirmed, because:

(a) terminal switching attempts fail when using xdm, gdm and kdm as the
login manager.  This includes attempts to terminal switch from the login
screen itself;

(b) after using 'chvt 2' as root from a xterm, I *am* able to use the
usual key combo Ctrl-Alt-F7 to return to the X session.

> Another very basic thing to check would be whether a new user account
> can use VT switching or not. That would at least tell you if the problem
> is due to a system-wide configuration or your regular user's profile.

As I suspectewd, a fresh user gets the same symptoms.

Thanks for your continued help Florian.  I'm going to stick a link to
this discussion on the bug report...

Dave.
--
Please don't CC me on list messages!