Re: How unstable is Unstable?

kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

Leonid Grinberg wrote:

Unstable, I know, does not have this problem. So I am wondering, how
unstable is it? I might be getting a new computer within a few months,
and am considering installing Debian Unstable on it. But what should I
expect? Will it crash a few times a month, or a day? How much work is
it?
The main point of unstability in unstable distribution is the randomness. No one knows when it breaks until it happens.

The answer depends on how frequently do you plan to upgrade? how many packages do you have installed? what kind of packages do you use? How close are we for the next stable release? (alignment of planets in the solar system :-) )

If you upgrade unstable on a daily basis, there is a high probability that it breaks on a daily basis.

If you upgrade it on a monthly basis, then there is a high probability that it breaks on a monthly basis and stays broken until the next upgrade etc.,

The key to run a successful unstable distribution is to not upgrade your system once you are satisfied with the current state of affairs.

I can't agree at all. I upgrade (selectively with aptitude and apt-listbugs) daily and have only been seriously caught twice in at least three years on several machines.

Paul